Through yoga, meditation, vegetarianism and mindfulness I have transformed my life. Once I converted to using all natural beauty products on my body, the full transformation was complete to living an au naturel lifestyle…damn it feels good to be a hippie!
I don’t use deodorant and stopped brushing my teeth with toothpaste. My shampoo doesn’t have bubbles, I exfoliate my face with coffee grounds and I smell like roses…really!
Who wants to cuddle? 🙂
My mind, body and spirit are in alignment with nature and on the path to a better place than where I was previously – an organic revolution.
As I am living on a slim teacher’s salary here in Spain (more than enough to “just get by” but not nearly enough to splurge on safe and healthy beauty products), I quickly realized I couldn’t go to the local BIO shop and purchase organic products (that are grossly overpriced) and I sure as hell wasn’t buying products from the supermarket, so I had to get creative. Once I started doing some research online, I realized this “alternative” lifestyle was quite popular and extremely easy and inexpensive to achieve. Access to a wealth of natural alternatives made the transition seamless, exciting, and soul satisfying. Sticking it to the man felt pretty good too, “Take that L’Oreal! Keep your cancer, I ain’t got time for that shit!”
It is terrifying that the major corporations who produce the majority of products are not required by law to list the chemicals that are in said products. These products we consume and lather on our bodies daily. I mean really, how is this allowed? It is infuriating and soul crushing, yet also empowering. We have a choice.
Here are some chemicals to look for and why they are harmful to our bodies. These are some of the most common, but there are many more.
There have been many studies done on fluoride and even though it has been found to be a neurotoxin, it is still used in products, food, and even the water that comes out of the faucet. Ridiculous. But you know what the good news is? We have a choice! Awesome, right?
Now, go into your bathroom right now and read the label on the products you use. Mind-blown? Infuriated? Crushed? GOOD! Waking up to this harsh reality is not fun, but it has to be done.
Through research and trial and error, I found some incredible and highly effective natural alternatives to all the toxic products I previously used daily.
My skin has improved, my hair is shiny and thick and healthy, my face is not dry or oily and I almost never break-out unless it is that particular phase of the moon.
Seriously, the transformations I saw after changing to an au naturel lifestyle were mind blowing. Not only am I saving money, but I am saving my body and not contributing to the abuse of the environment by creating plastic waste and pouring chemicals down the drain as I wash them off my body.
Trust your body and your head.
Here are some of my favorite natural alternatives I found that work with my body. We are all different, so some things may work for some and not for others. But I guarantee there is at least one natural alternative for each category in the list below that will work wonders for you.
Are you ready to glow?
- Face wash: Lemon juice, coconut oil, or apple cider vinegar
- Exfoliant (face and body): Used coffee grounds, organic honey with granules (chunks), or brown sugar infused with olive oil and lavender oil
- Make-up remover: Coconut oil, almond oil or olive oil
- Moisturizer (daily use for face and body): Rose water, aloe vera, white wine vinegar, coconut oil, almond oil, olive oil (any natural, extra virgin oil)
- Wrinkles: Water. Drink it. A lot of it. Also, use rose water, aloe vera, coconut oil, egg whites, vitamin E, avocado oil, etc. There are many alternatives to expensive and toxic creams for those unsightly wrinkles – but keep laughing because a well wrinkled face is the mark of a good life. Just stay out of the sun for prolonged periods of time
- Shampoo: Organic/vegan aloe vera shampoo or apple cider vinegar/white wine vinegar (apple cider vinegar is impossible to find in Spain so I settled for white wine vinegar…it really works! Just infuse it with lavender oil so you aren’t stinky. After the hair dries there is almost no trace of vinegar smell, I promise)
- Conditioner: Avocados (mashed up into a paste to be used as a hair mask), honey, white wine vinegar, egg whites, aloe vera, coconut oil
- Deodorant: Salt crystal (can be found online or in most natural stores like Whole Foods or Sprouts) It really works at preventing odor! I can go all day without the slightest stench and I walk a lot. My natural odor has rebalanced…hey boysss 🙂
- Toothpaste: Coconut oil + baking soda + peppermint essential oil – or – see below about oil pulling if you don’t want to make your own toothpaste
- Mouthwash: Oil pulling has changed my life. You can use any oil really, but coconut oil works the best I think. Swish a teaspoon of oil each morning in your mouth for 20 minutes. I know it seems like an eternity, but you can do other stuff while you’re improving your overall health. Take a shower, cook breakfast, make coffee, walk the dog, answer emails, whatever! The gums are an organ and heart disease is linked to poor gum health. It also whitens your teeth naturally by removing stains and discoloration and makes them shiny.
- Even skin tone: Lemon juice and regular exfoliation with used coffee grounds (let lemon juice soak into skin for at least 10 minutes then rise off. Do this 3 times a week) With a more even skin tone, you won’t feel the need to wear make-up. The less make-up you wear, the more you realize you don’t need it and the more your natural glow and beauty are revealed to the world!
- Nails: Buff your fingernails with a buffer and stop using nail polish (did you know nail polish has formaldehyde in it? That’s what they use to embalm people when they die…) I haven’t painted my nails (fingers or toes) in over 2 years and I don’t miss it at all. My nail beds are a beautiful and a healthy pink color, my cuticles are never dry, and hang nails are a things of the past. Just moisturize your nails when you lather your bod with your oil of choice
- Lips: Coconut oil, aloe vera, olive oil, or purchase an organic/vegan lip balm. Like a bit of color? Invest in an organic tinted limp balm or lip stick. These can be found at almost all natural stores.
- Sunscreen: There are so many chemicals in sunscreen it is now believed that people are developing skin cancer from sunscreens and not from the sun, although this is a very controversial topic. Many natural oils provide 20-50 spf and are a much safer way to go about sun protection. Check out these options I found during my research. Just don’t lay in the sun for hours on end, like I did this summer…oops!
And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Cleaning products, perfumes, make-up, etc…all of these are laced with toxic chemicals. There are natural alternatives for all of these! Great information can be found online.
Here are some of my favorite sites:
Real Farmacy – This site is a one-stop-shop. With current news, DIY, natural cures, cosmetic alternatives and more, this is my encyclopedia
Earth We Are One – With many categories on the general awakening that is taking place, this site also has incredible articles on health and cosmetic alternatives
No More Dirty Looks – Beautifully written and photographed, this site touches on a variety of subjects including natural alternatives, meditation and general wellness
Living Pretty Naturally – This wonderful earth goddess has everything you need to know to make your own products and really take the plunge into living more consciously all around. Her DIY section is nothing short of incredible and her approach is of ease and grace. Simply fantastic.
Wellness Mama – She is the mother of all things well and good for body, mind, and home. Recipes, alternatives, reviews…this site has a wealth of information.
Trash is for Tossers – Another lovely goddess of all that is well and good for body and planet is this gem. She has not created waste of any kind in over 2 years. She makes everything (and I mean everything) and has some incredible recipes. She is also just awesome.
Moral of the story? Go to nature.
Nature provides us with abundance. The generations who came thousands of years before us knew this simple fact. Our minds have been polluted by companies who tell us we need their products to be accepted by society as beautiful so that they can profit.
There is a wealth of information on this amazing thing called the internet, if we would only take the time to stop and question the way we are being told to live. By stopping the use of toxic chemical products, we take the power from the corporations and we empower ourselves.
One step at a time.
You don’t have to over-haul your life overnight, but if you start making small changes you will quickly realize how easy it is (and how fun it can be) to make your products or purchase organic/vegan alternatives. Just try it!!
If you have been on the fence or weary of taking the plunge into a natural lifestyle, I hope to have given you some more motivation to finally take action.
Intention. Action. Creation.
What will happen to my skin and body as I ween away from all the chemicals, you ask?
There will be a period of transition as your body expels all the chemicals it grew accustomed to absorbing. You might break-out a bit and your hair will probably be greasy without all the chemicals designed to dry it out. Get comfortable with the top-knot or other hairstyles while your body transitions. Don’t let the transition period discourage you from pushing through. This bit of gray area won’t last long and when you make it through the awkward phase, you will emit light and your body will thank you daily by balancing out and returning to a natural state.
If you want to know more about my “beauty routine” just ask! I am more than happy to share which natural beauty products worked for me and which didn’t. Sharing is caring and I am only here to shed light on a different way to live life. This isn’t for everyone and I am not trying to push my opinion on you.
I am simply shedding light on issues and solutions. Be the light so the darkness can no longer hide.
Also, keep in mind I am doing all this in Spain. I don’t have Whole Foods or Sprouts or Trader Joe’s or any of the awesome health food stores available to Americans…just sayin’ 🙂
Cheers to nature, to health, and to embracing change to improve our lives!
One day at a time, hand in hand, we can do this!
Knowledge is power. Live empowered!